13 August, 2007

Lots of movies

I ended up watching a bunch of movies over the weekend, Kirby and I have decided to start borrowing 7 weeklies for $12.95 each week for the near future to collect a bunch of movies we like but don't have, or can't find on dvd. Anyway, on to the movies I watched...

I didn't know what to expect from Stranger Than Fiction but it was actually a really good movie. Not so much of a comedy as a drama with some romance and laughs thrown in. Will Ferrell is pretty good at the whole "serious" actor thing. The ending was a bit sappy though, but I think any movie where the ending doesnt involve half the cast dropping dead is sappy!

Kirby made me borrow Holes and it wasn't too bad... for a kids movie. I can't stand Shia LaBouf, though (he was the only bad thing about Transformers). The little "Zero" kid reminded me of what Zach De La Rocha must have looked like as a child.


I finally went to see The Simpsons Movie, it was awesome. I've been watching this show almost all my life, even now that its become pretty unfunny and gimmicky (the writers are trying to cash in on the gimmicky dumbed down style of Family Guy, rather than the satirical clever style the show had in the past... but that's for another day) but this made me laugh like no new episode has in a long time. It was just like a really long episode, sure, but it was a really long *good* episode, and there was something pretty cool about watching the Simpsons up on a big screen. This has been one of my best years for movies in a long time. I've been to the movies a lot more than in previous years, but that's because there has been more I've actually wanted to see.

The United States of Leland wasnt all that good, or bad. It just one of those depressing teen drama style movies, but there's nothing overly special about it. Ryan Gosling looks hot with black hair. Also I noticed in the credits that Jeremy Enigk composed the score, which makes me wonder why this movie doesn't have WAY more emo kid cred.

Nacho Librewas alright, I laughed at some parts, but I was more interested in doing some ironing. probably a good way to end a weekend of dvd watching, at least I didnt have to think!

Whew, that's it. Pretty Good effort.

No comments: